Monday, April 11, 2011

Don't Stand Up for Homophobic Bullying video

After watching the video I took a closer look at my view on gay and lesbian relations and realized I do not care what people decide to be. I am not against gay or lesbian couples whatsoever. I proudly support decisions made by a person and am I in no way going to start changing their minds or preach what I believe because I would not want the same to be done to me. Though once bullying and prejudice start to happen thats when I take offense. I'm not going to be a hypocrite and start saying I have not made fun of gay people. I have. Who hasn't though. I've joked around with people and called them gay, or have something bad happen to me and say thats gay too. Yet I will never look down on someone or hate against someone who is gay. If I see two men holding hands, sure it's a little awkward but I'm not going to start bashing them or calling them names and tell them to stop. In fact the feeling of awkwardness is so minuscule that I just act like if it were a man and a woman holding hands. I fell that society today has achieved a profound state of acceptance. We went from a country who hated on almost every minority, to having elected officials in our own government be black, hispanic, gay and lesbian. Sure gay rights have a long way to go. The institution of marriage is still being up for debate and fought for within the gay community. Though I don't see why anyone would want to get married in my opinion. Yet I digress. Gays and lesbians should be free of ridicule and oppression. It saddens me to see them bullied because it hides who they really are and just makes our society look bad. So please don't bully gays, lesbians or any other person for what they believe. We are truly better than that.

6 comments:

  1. Your way of thinking is much similar to mine. I dont see anything wrong gays or lesbians. It true that mostly everyone has joked or say something about them, but there is no reason to judge their decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, gay rights have a long way to go. We need to let them be, because that is one of the reasons they are afraid of demonstrating who they really are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all about accepting who people are. I like how you emphasized your point in not caring about the decisions other people make with their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, I think a lot of people spend too much time worrying about what other people do, but hopefully we're moving away from that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, respect is one of the most important things in the society. I agree with you, I think everybody, including me, uses the word gay for something else, like when something is not as good. Maybe this is where the problem starts...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm... yes, very sad when others are unkind.

    ReplyDelete